claro fair trade , Commonly Shortened to claro and written in lower case , is a sustainability -oriented retail company based in Orpund Biel / Bienne administrative district in the Swiss Canton of Bern . claro was initiated by Erklärung von Bern , a sustainability-oriented independent solidarity development in Switzerland in 1977. 
History and orientation
The history of fair trade in Switzerland is closely linked to the rise of the solidarity movement in the 1970s, and the political development organizations such as the Erklärung von Bern(EvB) consumer actions. At that time, products such as coffee, bananas and jute were the symbols of growing support for displaying developmental contexts. At the same time consumers demanded more commitment for the development of charity mentality. The success of these actions occurred at the establishment of the Swiss import central named OS3that was pioneering fair trade, and specialized in the trade of food and craftsmen of developing trading partners, ie small producers of economic marginal areas, an alternative approach to the world trade. 
Besides OS3 , in 1977 EvB initiated the organization Switzerland Third World which became the first two claro fair trade labels; they resulted in the collaboration with Corr-the jute works situated in Bangladesh. In the following years the product line was expanded gradually, among them cane sugar from the Philippines and other agriculture products from the so-called third world countries, for example coffee from Tanzania, and tea from Sri Lanka, and the cooperative El Ceibo in Bolivia around 1985,  and among other popularly funded companies in Switzerland,  among other sustainable financial initiatives supported by the Alternative Bank Schweiz ABS.
In 1997 the claro fair trade cooperative was transformed into an Aktiengesellschaft according to the Swiss law. claro fair trade claims as the ultimate goal of the social, economic and environmental situation of their producers. These include the minimization of middlemen in favor of direct cooperation with local partners and supporting social projects. Whenever possible the products are certified by the Max Havelaar Foundation. 
Weltladen and claro shops
claro contributes to the so-called claro and associated Weltladen shops.  As other sustainable corporations, there has been a decrease in turnover in the past years, mainly caused by reduced exports of products outside Switzerland. 
The distributor claimed as of 2014, to support the activities of small-scale producer groups and craft shops, and thus to improve the living conditions of the people of the southern hemisphere . 
- Andreas Missbach: Sauter Rendite – Ökologisch und sozial verantwortungsvoll investieren. Ott Verlag, Bern 2007, ISBN 978-3-7225-0084-3 .
- Anne-Marie Hollenstein, Regula Renschler and Rudolf Strahm: Entwicklung heisst Befreiung. Erinnerungen an die Pionierzeit der Erklärung von Bern (1968-1985). Chronos, Zürich 2008, ISBN 978-3-0340-0917-1 .
- Renate Spörri: Der Einfluss der ErklÃ¤rung von Bern auf den Bund . In: Von der Entwicklungshilfe zur Entwicklungspolitik , published by P. Hug and B. Mesmer, Bern 1993. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b „Unternehmen“ (in German). claro fair trade. Archived from the original on 2015-01-19 . Retrieved 2015-01-19 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Simon Kehrli and Yasotha Sivarajah (2014-08-18). „Geschäftsbericht 2013/14“ (PDF) (in German). claro fair trade . Retrieved 2015-01-19 .
- Jump up^ Susan Boos (2009-01-22). „Erklärung von Bern: Erfinderinnen fairen Handels“ (in German). WOZ Die Wochenzeitung 04/2009 . Retrieved 2014-12-19 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b „claro fair trade AG“ (in German). Schweizerisches Sozialarchiv: Archivfindmittel. 2014-04-17 . Retrieved 2015-03-20 .
- Jump up^ Andrea Weibel (2004-10-29). „Erklärung von Bern (EvB)“ (in German). HDS . Retrieved 2014-12-15 .
- Jump up^ Bettina Bernet-Hug and Silvia Luckner (photo) (2012-04-26). „Fair-Trade-Läden müssen sich auf den Markt ausrichten“ (in German). Zürichsee-Zeitung . Archived from the original on 2015-01-19 . Retrieved 2015-01-19 .
- Jump up^ Renate Spörri. „Der Einfluss der Erklärung von Bern auf den Bund“ Von den Anfängen in der ökumenischen Bewegung 1968 bis zum Bundesgesetz über Entwicklungszusammenarbeit und Humanitäre Hilfe 1976 “ (in German). Swiss Federal Archives . Retrieved 2014-12-15 .