North American Collegiate Sustainability Programs are institutions of higher education in the United States, Mexico City, and Canada that have major and / or minors dedicated to the subject of sustainability . Sustainability as a major and minor is more widely applied to global warming . The majors and minors listed here cover a wide array of sustainability aspects of business to construction to agriculture to simply the study of sustainability itself.
Acadia University is located in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada and offers an undergraduate major in Environmental and Sustainability Studies. This major gives students the skills they need to make the changes necessary to create a more „sustainable and just society“.  There are four areas of concentration (Sustainable Community Development and Environmental Advocacy, Education, and Activism) and two different degree options (a Bachelor of Artsand Bachelor of Recreation Management) offered within the major. Additionally, the University is home to the Arthur Irving Academy for the Environment which organizes sustainability programs on the campus. 
Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada offers two different majors, Environment, Sustainability, and Society (ESS)  and Sustainable Resources and The Environment.  Both majors have different outlooks on sustainability. Sustainable Resource and the Environment focuses on managing environments, ESS focuses on changing for the future. Along with these two majors, Dalhousie also has an Office of Sustainability  which offers a wide variety of programs focusing on becoming more sustainable.
Trent University , located in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada , offers an undergraduate degree in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems as a Master of Arts in Sustainability. The Sustainable Agriculture program encompasses the aspects of growing „healthy, sustainable, and affordable food  „. The Masters program deals with sustainability in the three pillars of sustainability .  In addition, Trent has its own Office of Sustainability that leads to retrofitsand installation of green roofs 
University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia offers an environment and Sustainability Major at its Vancouver campus. This major promotes an understanding of the range of factors that affect life on the planet and the future.  Some races that are part of the major The Global Climate System and Environment. The University of British Columbia aussi Has the Center for Interactive Research on Sustainability That Focuses is Creating and Implementing solutions to the „challenges of urban development  “
Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM)
Also known as Technologico De Monterrey , ITESM is based in Monterrey, Mexico but actually has thirty-one campuses throughout the country. The institute is a major in Sustainable Development Engineering , which focuses on the efficient use of energy and water and the management of emissions and the relationship between the environment and society.  Some of the classes offered include Industrial Ecology and Sustainable Use of Water. The Sustainable Development Engineering major is offered in Mexico City , State of Mexico , Monterrey , Santa Fe campuses.
Columbia University in New York City offers a Sustainable Development program that focuses on educating students on how to achieve a sustainable society. Students will take classes from multiple clusters including the Sustainable Development Foundation, the Basic Disciplinary Foundation, the Skills / Action, and the Analysis and Solutions to Complex Problems.  The University has also developed a Master of Science in Sustainability Management  geared towards the role of sustainability in organizations. Columbia is also home to the Earth Instituteits mission is to bring people together to address and overcome some of the most pressing problems facing the Earth and humanity today. The institute also oversees sustainability initiatives for Columbia’s campus 
Located in Madison, NJ , Drew University offers a major in Environmental Studies and Sustainability . This major studies the current environmental problems facing the world today and provides the skills needed to overcome these problems. Students who take part in this academic program will have an experiential requirement that involves environmental-related, hands-on experience  Drew University has numerous sustainability initiatives underway as well 
Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania , Philadelphia University has a major and a minor in environmental sustainability. The courses they offer are different from Sustainable Technologies for Architecture and the Economics of Sustainability .  They also offer a Master of Science in Sustainable Design on green design and the development of net zero carbon 
Unity College in Unity, Maine has not one, but two sustainability majors. Their Sustainable Energy Management is a technical and conceptual leader in sustainable energy .  On the other hand, the Sustainable Agriculture major they offer concentrates on teaching sustainable agricultural practices that emphasize local farming and activism when it comes to governmental food policies. As an environmental college, there is a lot of focus on sustainability initiatives at Unity College. In fact, they’ve used a full-time sustainability coordinator whose job is to make Unity College as environmentally friendly as possible.
Located in Chambersburg, PA , Wilson College is a women’s college that offers two sustainability majors. Business Sustainability and Environmental Management  Integrates sustainability practices into the business world. Environmental Sustainability  focuses on solving environmental problems. Wilson has a Center for Sustainable Living that works with the Fulton Center for Sustainable Living 
Eastern Mennonite University
Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Virginia offers a major in Environmental Sustainability.  Environmental and Social Sustainability Concentration (Environmental and Social Sustainability Concentration) aspects). Besides the major, Eastern Mennonite University has integrated some sustainable initiatives around campus, including the largest solar insulation in the state of Virginia and has been certified LEED certified at the gold level. 
Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina offers a major in Sustainability Science .  The focus of this major is to prepare and educate students on how to enhance the quality of life. This program offers nearly 30 different elective courses along with the required coursework. Environmental Security, Human Security and Sustainable Production and Consumption. Furman University also has the Sustainability Planning Council (SPC)  and the David E. Shi Center of Sustainability,  which both focus on promoting sustainability throughout the campus.
University of Florida
The University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida , offers three different kinds of majors and minors That Incorporate sustainability: Sustainability Studies ,  Sustainability and the Built Environment,  and Sustainable Crop Production and Management.  Each major or other provides a variety of sustainability, while offering an array of courses from Agriculture and Environmental Quality to Sustainable Crop Production and Sustainable EcotourismDevelopment to Social and Cultural Sustainability. These majors / minors focus on gaining knowledge and skills to contribute to the growth of societies of current and future generations. In addition to the range of academic programs, University of Florida has an Office of Sustainability that has created nine different sustainability programs for the University of Florida including the One Less Car and Tailgator Game Day Recycling programs. 
Aquinas College , located in Grand Rapids, Michigan , is one of the first to offer a major and minor in Sustainable Business .  Recognizing that businesses have a huge impact on the environment, Aquinas‘ academic program seeks to educate students in sustainable business practices that not only promote profitability, but environmental and societal well being too. Shopping for the major and minor includes Sustainable Business Management and Social Capital Building . 
Baldwin Wallace University
Located in Berea, OH , Baldwin Wallace University offers a major and minor in Sustainability.  Sustainable Food and Green Business: This academic program focuses on sustainable food and environmental issues . In addition to their undergraduate program, Baldwin Wallace University also has a Master of Business Administration in Sustainability.  In addition , Baldwin Wallace’s environmental footprint also holds a yearly „Sustainability Symposium“ that is open to the public 
Maharishi University of Management
The Maharishi University of Management Founded in Fairfield, Iowa , started its Sustainable Living Program in 2003, making it a leader in its field. Its Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Living is focused on sustainable communitydevelopment.  This project operates on the block system and focuses on the development of consciousness . The University is currently in the process of building a Sustainable Living Center that, ounce finished, will not surpass the highest LEEDstandard for a building (platinum) but with the Living Building Challenge as well.
Ashland, Wisconsin is the site of Northland College which offers both a major and a minor in Sustainable Community Development.  Both programs are geared towards those who wish to be in the environment. Courses include Sustainable Community Development and Capitalism, Justice, and Sustainability. Northland is one of the five colleges that are part of the Eco League and offers a campus sustainability work study program  to its students among other things.
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan offers both a major and minor in Sustainable Systems.  These programs focus on how to enhance systems so they are more sustainable using technology and enterprise. Students can choose from different markets in three different clusters: Systems Analysis for Sustainability, Sustainable Design and Technology, and Sustainable Enterprise that cover a broad range of themes (including the built environment, mobility, and food systems). Additionally, the University of Michigan has an Office of Campus Sustainability  and includes the Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute. 
Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University has a Sustainabity Department. 
Arizona State University
The ASU School of Sustainability at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona offers the BA, BS, MA, MS, and PhD in Sustainability.  Other degrees offered are the Master of Sustainable Solutions (applied non-thesis program) and the Executive Master in Sustainability Leadership (13-month executive degree). Through the university’s online platform, students may also pursue a BA in Sustainability and a Master of Sustainability Leadership degree. It is the first School of Sustainability in the United States, founded in 2006.  Several sustainability programs are found in other colleges at ASU, including Business, Engineering, Public Service and Community Solutions.
Most of the schools above did not start with a sustainability focused major. Many started with a major that was related to a sustainable development in the major (s) they have today. Therefore, the following table shows that they have a good relationship with each other and that they have a good future in the future.
|Institution||leasing||Type of Program Offered||Title of Program|
|McGill University||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Bachelor of Engineering||Bioresource Engineering|
|University of Western Ontario||London, Ontario, Canada||Bachelor of Engineering||Green Process Engineering|
|Northeastern United States|
|Carnegie Mellon||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||Minor||Environmental Engineering and Sustainability|
|College of the Atlantic||Mount Desert Island, Maine||Area of Study||Sustainable BusinessSustainable Food Systems|
|Dickinson College||Carlisle, Pennsylvania||Over 60 Sustainability Courses Offered||Offered Races|
|Green Mountain College||Poultney, Vermont||Program (not a major or minor)||Sustainable Agriculture and Food Production|
|Hartwick College||Oneonta, New York||Living-Learning Community||The Pine Lake Institute for Environmental and Sustainability Studies|
|Paul Smith’s College||Brighton, New York||Bachelor of Science||Natural Resources Sustainability|
|Pennsylvania State University||University Park, Pennsylvania||Minor||Sustainability Leadership|
|State University of New York
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
|Syracuse, New York||Minor||Sustainable Construction|
|University of Baltimore||Baltimore, Maryland||Bachelor of Arts||Environmental Sustainability and Human Ecology|
|University of Rochester||Rochester, New York||Minor||Sustainability|
|Southeastern United States|
|Berea College||Berea, Kentucky||Minor||Sustainability and Environmental Studies|
|Catawba College||Salisbury, North Carolina||Minor||Sustainable Business|
|Clemson University||Clemson, South Carolina||Bachelor of Science||Soils and Sustainable Crop Systems|
|Central United States|
|Rice University||Houston, Texas||Interdisciplinary Program||Shell Center for Sustainability|
|University of Dayton||Dayton, Ohio||Minor||Sustainability|
|University of Illinois at
|Urbana and Champaign, Illinois||Minor||Environmental Fellows ProgramEarth, Society, and Environment|
- List of environmental degree-granting institutions
- List of environmental degree-granting institutions in the United States
- Jump up^ „Environmental & Sustainability Studies ~ About Us“ . Environment.acadiau.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Arthur Irving Academy for the Environment ~ Campus Sustainability“. Aiae.acadiau.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Environment, Sustainability & Society“ . Sustainability.dal.ca. December 21, 2010 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainable Resources & The Environment – Academics – Dalhousie University“ . Dal.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Programs – Office of Sustainability – Dalhousie University“ . Dal.ca. April 1, 2011 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Trent University :: Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems“ . Trentu.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Trent University :: MA Sustainability“ . Trentu.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Trent University :: Sustainability Office“ . Trentu.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Programs – Geography – Environment & Sustainability (Vancouver – BA) – you @ UBC – University of British Columbia“ . You.ubc.ca . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „CIRS | UBC Sustainability“ . Sustain.ubc.ca. January 27, 2010 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Tecnológico de Monterrey | Carreras Profesionales | Áreas de estudio | Ingeniero en Desarrollo Sustentable“ . Itesm.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Columbia University’s Major Undergraduate in Sustainable Development – The Earth Institute – Columbia University“ . Earth.columbia.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Master of Science in Sustainability Management – The Earth Institute – Columbia University“ . Earth.columbia.edu . Retrieved November 24,2011 .
- Jump up^ „Mission: Solutions for Sustainable Development – The Earth Institute – Columbia University“ . Earth.columbia.edu . Retrieved November 24,2011 .
- Jump up^ „Environmental Studies and Sustainability | College of Liberal Arts | Drew University“ . Drew.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability | Drew University“ . Drew.edu . Retrieved November 24,2011 .
- Jump up^ Liberal Arts (April 3, 2009). „Philadelphia University’s College of Science, Health and the Liberal Arts“ . Philau.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Philadelphia University: MS in Sustainable Design“ . Philau.edu. November 2, 2011 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Unity College Pages“ . Unity.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^http://www.unity.edu/Academic/Majors/SustainableFoodAndAgriculture/SustainableFoodAndAgriculture.aspx_
- Jump up^ „Wilson College: Academics“ Undergraduate Programs »Majors» Business Sustainability and Environmental Management . Wilson.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Wilson College: Academics“ Undergraduate Programs »Majors» Environmental Studies »Major in Environmental Sustainability . Wilson.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Wilson College: About Wilson College“ Fulton Center for Sustainable Living „Sustainability at Wilson“ . Wilson.edu . Retrieved November 24,2011 .
- Jump up^ „Environmental Sustainability Major – Applied Social Sciences – Eastern Mennonite University“ . Emu.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability – Eastern Mennonite University“ . Emu.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Degree Requirements“ . .furman.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability Planning Council“ . .furman.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Center for Sustainability“ . .furman.edu. October 24, 2011 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability Studies | The University of Florida“ . Clas.ufl.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability Home – University of Florida Design, Construction and Planning“ . Dcp.ufl.edu. October 20, 2011 . Retrieved November 24,2011 .
- Jump up^ „Agronomy Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Science, University of Florida – Undergraduate Curriculum“ . Agronomy.ifas.ufl.edu. October 6, 2010 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Programs | Sustainable UF“ . Sustainable.ufl.edu. January 31, 2011 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Aquinas College :: Sustainability Initiative“ . Aquinas.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Aquinas College :: Sustainable Business“ . Aquinas.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „BW: Sustainability Programs at Baldwin-Wallace College“ . Bw.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „BW: Master of Business Administration in Sustainability Program Requirements“ . Bw.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „BW: Sustainability Symposium, November 7-9, 2011“ . Bw.edu. October 25, 2011 . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „BS in Sustainable Living | MUM“ . Sustainableliving.mum.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Northland College | Catalog“ . Catalog.northland.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainability – Work Study Positions | Northland College“ . Northland.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Sustainable Systems | School of Natural Resources and Environment | University of Michigan“ . Snre.umich.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011.
- Jump up^ „Office of Campus Sustainability“ . Ocs.umich.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Graham Institute: About the Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute at the University of Michigan“ . Graham.umich.edu . Retrieved November 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ „Western Michigan University Sustainability“ . wmich.edu . Western Michigan University . Retrieved August 13, 2016 .
- Jump up^ „ASU School of Sustainability – Earn a Degree in Sustainability – School of Sustainability“ . School of Sustainability . Retrieved 2016-01-27 .
- Jump up^ Makower, Joel. How Arizona State aims to create business sustainability leaders . GreenBiz . Retrieved 2016-01-27 .